Friday 1 May 2009

Venus Figurine

B & 4B pencil in VAPD

This week's Inspire Me Thursday prompt is "Umbrella".

Now, being the person that I am, I instantly thought of "Umbrella Terms" for some reason. I thought about what I understood this particular phrase to mean, and after doing a little research I found that I was correct. An "umbrella term" is a word used to describe a collective of similar objects or phenomena.

Being a member of the iGeneration - or Gen Y - I was bound to use Wikipedia for my "research". That's when I stumbled across a link and an umbrella term for a range of miniature prehistoric statues that depicted obese or pregnant women - "The Venus Figurines".

This drawing is an image not disimilar to any of the Venus Figurines. It too depicts the primal beauty of a voluptuous or pregnant female. This is an 'umbrella image', if you will.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    What an ingenius and fresh take on this weeks' theme! Your drawing is lovely and so reminds me of the "Willendorf" figures. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    You are amazing. Wonderful drawing and what an original concept you came up with. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete